Skip to main content

Just a little movement

I decided to do a workout yesterday. This one:
I'm not even 30. So it's pretty easy to look at this DVD as a failure. My body has failed me to the point that I can't do a "real" workout. That's something I struggle with a lot. If I can't do a half hour of cardiovascular workout I ask myself what's the point? A friend said the other day that my hand weights were too light to count. I said no, they count. Yet, the thought keeps creeping in. 
I spent 3 days with a migraine and muscle spasms. It slowed down quite a bit, but after 3 days of spasms I am really sore. Also, because the pain isn't completely gone I am afraid of getting up and making things worse. 
I decided to do my old lady workout and test my body. I felt stupid and called myself names. I considered stopping the video and doing something more "real" at least using a heavier weight since mine didn't count. I didn't.  
At the end of the video I sat down with an ice pack. Less than 10 minutes later I was in tears from the muscle spasms spreading.  I hurt everywhere.  My body was very clear that I don't get a choice in what a "real" workout consists of. A real workout is what I can do in the moment, and can't be defined by someone else. (I do like my doctors advice though. ) it's also important to get in any amount if exercise I can. If I can't get an hour in, I'll take ten minutes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

A year away

  I took a year away from reading and reviewing, in part because I didn't think that everyone wanted to hear the words, and this book sounded very Stephen King being Stephen King doing his best Stephen King style King.  Which is what I read for 2020.  It has been a life goal, and it is almost entirely complete.  I read all but five Stephen King titles. I have decided that I have no aim to finish Tommyknockers or Pet Semetary.  As much as I want to read all things Stephen King, those books are just not something that I can finish.   I've tried 3 times to read both books, and we're just not going to be friends.   Still on my to read Stephen King list: The regulators, In the tall Grass, and The plant.  I'm taking a short break from reading more Stephen King for now.  The king of horror and I will say adieu while I visit with some folks I've missed, like maybe people trying to push me towards better, or someone who also obviously read J...