Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday


  • I'm thankful for understanding and helpful coworkers.  The kind that say "Wait, how did you get here? You aren't getting on a bus. Go home and rest."
  • I'm thankful for the amazing Switzer family taking care of me when I need it most.  I'm so blessed to have my amazing Amber and Chris to help me out the last few days.  I would not have survived alone.
  • I'm thankful for my mom, sister and besties checking in on me.
  • I'm thankful for people that won't ever tell me that my health has scared them again.
  • I'm thankful for a bestie that can joke about how silly her text message sounded when I was at the ER.
  • I am thankful for Amber being able to joke about sitting at the ER while nurses are concerned I'm bleeding internally.
  • I'm thankful Amber can be mad about people checking in too many times.
  • I'm thankful for Chris trying to be calm while he's pissed off that I'm getting out of a chair. I'm thankful for the number of times that he has said "Then just keep sitting. What's the problem with that?" even though I can't process the number of problems I find with staying sitting for several days.
  • I'm thankful for medications arriving when I need them.
  • I'm thankful for a sister and roommate that have everything under control especially when nothing is under control.
  • I'm thankful for amazingly beautiful days in Seattle.
  • I'm thankful for Cupcake Royal.
  • I'm thankful for ER doctors being so much cooler and more rational than any other doctors.
  • I'm thankful for an OB that is funny.
  • I'm thankful for sweet nurses rubbing my ass. 
  • I'm thankful for amazing and funny EMTs that can save hundreds of dollars by walking me across the street.
  • I'm thankful for recliner chairs.
  • I'm thankful for corn bag pillow from my grandma (life saver).
  • I'm thankful for pads and sweatpants.  (Never in my life did I think I would be, but dear monkeys I am.)
  • I'm thankful for Australia's Next Top Model and the amazing, wonderful and insane guy I live with that I now got addicted to Australia's Next Top Model. (Shhhhhh.... don't tell him I told you.)
  • I'm thankful that my skin color is naturally a cute tan and not gray/purple.
  • I'm thankful for recognizing my limits and being a bitch about still wanting to do things.
  • I am thankful for a kindergartner that can comprehend I'm not well enough to play, be upset about it, and thank me for playing with him the day before.  I am not sure I recognize a moment in my life that was so simultaneously heart warming and impossibly saddening. 
  • I am thankful for every person on twitter and tumblr that uses #SickGirlProblems or any other associated hash tag.  When I'm sitting and crying, they can make me laugh and recognize I'm not alone. There is nothing better in this world
As every Thursday, I am thankful for the stunning people I have in my life near and far.  I choose to connect myself with people that can make me better. When I'm at my worst, they hold me up. I couldn't possibly ask for more than what they do.  I am glad to say I had an awful shitty week and I am still beyond blessed.  

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...