Skip to main content

Fitspo Friday: @WilW

I am a huge fan of honesty, especially when dealing with mood disorders. While mindfulness around your patterns and skills is amazingly helpful, there are some times when you are unable to be prepared. Those are the times when a fit person reaches out for support. Being honest about what is happening with your mental and physical health is one of the best ways to care for yourself. It can help you be mindful and prepared.  It also allows for a support system.  When you are real about impacts, people can help you trouble shoot and learn.

One of the most fitspo people for a healthy life with mental health disorders is Wil Wheaton. He is a successful creator that shares his passions through many forums (Tabletop, Wil Wheaton Project, books).  I am a super fan from back in the Stand By Me days and a later in life initiated trekkie.  So there are dozens of reasons why I fan girl over Wil Wheaton.  There is only one reason I stop breathing when I see him at a con.  Wil Wheaton is a person that reaches for support to handle what he can’t handle alone.  (Read what he wrote here. Read what his wife wrote here.)  He is a person that shares his reality to support others (Read what he wrote here and here).  Most importantly, Wil Wheaton is a person that doesn't let his challenges stop him from creation.  Wil Wheaton has a gorgeous hilarious family, a successful career and an actively challenging mental health disorder.  
I only hope to be as inspiring a person as Wil Wheaton.  I strive to be honest and create not despite, but with my health challenges.  That would make me a truly fit and healthy person.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...