Skip to main content

Mindy and Me (and Jenn)

I've just finished Mindy Kaling's book, Why Not Me.  It is wonderful.  I also think it is very important that you know I love Mindy Kaling.  If I ever become one of those therapists on TV, know I have done so to better position myself to be friends with Mindy Kaling.  Possibly also to better the world by talking about mental health stigma, and the ways that I believe (and are backed up by the research of people much smarter than me) the disabled, veterans, and chronically ill are horribly treated in the mental health community, but mostly to become friends with Mindy Kaling.

Why not me is lighthearted, offers advice, and is often hilarious.  It is everything that you could possibly want if you pick up a memoir of a comedian.  There are tales of romance, slights about her looks and a fabulous chapter about her relationship with B. J. Novack.    Any good Mindy fan will expect nothing less.  I found it to be just the right length, as I never wanted to put it down and didn't have to.

As I read through Mindy's fabulous writing, I am often reminded that a huge part of the reason I love Mindy is because of  Best Friend Jenn.  (That is how I refer to her always, "Best Friend Jenn"  stated as if best friend is one word, and that word is her first name and Jenn is her last name.  This is particularly beneficial to me because I have a hell of a time remembering all our other friends' married names, and I'm rather glad I'll never stumble over her future married name.)  Jenn is a great Mindy Kaling fan who often thinks she is like Mindy, the character, on Mindy Project.  I happen to believe she is like Mindy, the person, who I read about in memoirs. She works really hard, is really smart, generous, hilarious and overly anxious.  (She being best friend Jenn, but also Mindy)  Whenever I'm feeling down, all I need is one of best friend Jenn's stories to make me laugh.  Her story telling ability is amazing, and I do wish she would write a book.  Not that I would sit and read it because, unlike Mindy Kaling, I could just call her and have her tell me the stories.  Even if I've heard it before, I love her telling of stories.  Which is to say, if I were friends with Mindy Kaling, I would stop reading her wonderful books and wouldn't that be sad?

*You should know I've written this just days after Best friend Jenn specifically did not ask me for my impression of her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Emotional Education

The first step in a majority of the therapy I provide for clients is recognizing and expressing emotions. Especially with children, this is the most important thing that I do.  If someone were to leave my therapy sessions, the thing I would want them to take away is that their emotions are okay.  Sometimes, knowing that your emotions are valid is a struggle, it's something to be constantly mindful of.  Did you stop feeling angry because there is nothing to be angry about or because someone told you "angry doesn't do anything"?  Did you stop being afraid or anxious because "worrying gets you no where"  or was it because there is no longer anything to fear?  It's easy to be dismissive of emotions. "I'm being silly."  "Big people don't cry."  It's even easier to listen to the people that dismiss your emotions for you.  "Oh my god, why are you crying."  "It's not that big of a deal"  "Just let it...