Skip to main content

Beginning a healthy routine



As I work on starting a new healthy routine, I began by reading The Ayurvedic Self-Care Handbook by Sarah Kucera.
My self-care routine has been significantly lacking, and I want to start from a naturally derived path. I want something that makes sense for my life and my body. Often when I'm working on changing my patterns, I push too hard at first. The Ayurvedic Self-care Handbook gave great ways to adjust your routine without pushing yourself over an edge. It's a great place to start if you are looking for an Ayurvedic routine. The book is straight forward, provides a reasonable basis for each of the changes that it's asking for and it's got several steps to take. Each aspect of the book is positive and encouraging for anyone that wants to create a healthy lifestyle.

For me, the key to creating a healthy routine is to begin with tracking. I have my tracking board set up with all the things that make a positive lifestyle for me. As I track, I will get a great picture for where I have strengths and weaknesses. If there is anything missing for me to have a healthy lifestyle it will become apparent right away.

I'll be including some of the pieces of advice from the Ayurvedic Self care handbook in my changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...