Skip to main content

American Greed

I read a few very interesting books yesterday.  I read A Terrible Thing to Waste by 
and The Good Gut by  and .  

Both The Good Gut and A Terrible Thing to Waste are interesting, well researched books.  There is a lot of scientific jargon in the books, so despite clearly attempting to make the information available to the masses, I'm not sure that they succeed.  The books do a decent job of describing the problems, showing the research and then describing steps you can take to make things better.  In the end, I don't feel super excited about the steps to make things better.  The truth is that the issue described is systematic and rather terrifying.  The steps to make things better are small.  Though the resources appear great and helpful, I honestly have doubts about making things work in a real and lasting way.  That leads me to be a bit disappointed in the book. 

It could be the piece where reading these books together leaves a rather bleak view of the inner and outer world of a poor person in America. ( Particularly, black lives.) To look at the lasting impacts of environmental impacts on the mind and bodies of Americans is rather frightening.  That is what these books provide.  A look at decreasing IQs and decreasing microbial environments in the stomachs of the poor (black) Americans.  There is an issue with the "solutions"  described in the books. With A Terrible Thing to Waste, they describe ways to effect systematic damage.  However, they also describe how little these steps have impacted real change through out the book.  The Good Gut describes things you can do in your personal life,  if you have time and money to do so.  

Here I am, wanting to make healthy changes for myself and for others.  I feel as if I'm tilting at windmills.  Changing my own eating and exercise habits leaves me depleted.  I've spent the last 4 days with a migraine and spasms, presumably triggered by changing my sleep/wake schedule to what feels natural, increasing an antidepressant 3 weeks ago, and increasing my exercise.  These healthy changes made it so that I could hardly move without crying, couldn't hold a conversation and struggled to make sense of living.  

Despite it all, I shall continue with my tilting.  I have a neuro appointment this week with my movement disorder neuro to discuss test results and next steps.  I have an appointment with my PCP as well, to review my blood tests and talk about next steps.  Then, next week I have an at home EEG.  I'm also going to call this morning and get my IV hydration and/or toridol shot out in the valley or if I have to go downtown.  Either way, I'm going to get IV hydration and/or toridol this morning to break through this shit and try to set me up for not the worst week ever.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

A year away

  I took a year away from reading and reviewing, in part because I didn't think that everyone wanted to hear the words, and this book sounded very Stephen King being Stephen King doing his best Stephen King style King.  Which is what I read for 2020.  It has been a life goal, and it is almost entirely complete.  I read all but five Stephen King titles. I have decided that I have no aim to finish Tommyknockers or Pet Semetary.  As much as I want to read all things Stephen King, those books are just not something that I can finish.   I've tried 3 times to read both books, and we're just not going to be friends.   Still on my to read Stephen King list: The regulators, In the tall Grass, and The plant.  I'm taking a short break from reading more Stephen King for now.  The king of horror and I will say adieu while I visit with some folks I've missed, like maybe people trying to push me towards better, or someone who also obviously read J...