Skip to main content

History

It's possible that I watched the Lion King too much as a kid.  My little brother was obsessed with it, and would watch it over and over.  I too loved that movie, and there is one line that stuck with me.  
Image result for the past can hurt

I try as often as possible to learn from the past. I wish to change things, make it so that the past isn't repeated. A huge part of my therapy is to look at my own past.  Those lessons I took with me as a child that don't serve me are the things I am addressing. I'm trying to learn from what happened to me when I had no control.  Instead of moving forward with pain, or running from difficult memories and triggers, I am caring for myself in different ways than I have in the past.

The significant challenge for me is that I live in the United States of America, and I see that as a country we are not learning from the past.  People on the senate floor might as well be using the speeches from the people that stood in their location 50 years ago.  

I worry that many Americans, or possibly people of the world as a whole, do not know their history.  Yet, how shall we teach it to them?  How will we make it so that they can move forward without repeating the mistakes of the past?

Conversations with JFK by Michael O'Brien provides an interesting way to show history.  This book is formatted like an interview, just like one you would read in a zine.  This format makes it an easy read.  Also, it is well researched. Though the words of "JFK" in the book are missing that certain charisma and comfortable certainty of the actual JFK, it is still interesting. I would recommend it to anyone with even the smallest interest in history or changing our current repetitions of it.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...