Skip to main content

Getting in to Therapy

I've spent the majority of my life desiring to be a helper.  Maybe I watched too much Mr. Rogers as a child. More likely, I spent to much time being the helper in my family of origin and at school.

I went to grief therapy in elementary school.  I don't remember it at all, but seeing as I what I do remember about that time is that I felt distinctly unable to make a fuss, I'm sure it was super helpful.  #Sarcasm.During graduate school I saw a therapist for about a minute until I couldn't make that a priority. That's often how it went for me for a long time.  It wasn't the priority. I knew it was an issue, but we had bigger fish to fry.

Possibly, that's why I didn't connect at all to Kay Hutchison's book My Life in Thirty-Seven Therapies.

I received My Life in Thirty-Seven Therapies from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I didn't enjoy the book, or finish it.  The book felt significantly longer than it truly was.  My Life in Thirty-Seven Therapies meandered through Kay Hutchison's life listlessly.  It felt as if she was going no where and that the details were being left out.  Somehow a winding road and jumping bean at the same time, I kept losing track of the time line and the other people Kay Hutchison seemed to list off as friends, then have no interaction with.  If the goal of this book is to make you feel her depression, it succeeds as I couldn't read past the late middle of the book, I'll never know if it has any other goal. Do not recommend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...