Skip to main content

My Container

At the end of every EMDR session, my counselor and I put whatever trauma we were working on in a container.  It's a container in my mind, and I use it for the things that are getting in the way of my life.  It's built the same way that my memory chest was.  In order to properly build it in my mind, I got rid of things in the actual memory chest that did nothing but take up space.

I got rid of notes and letters from people that meant little or nothing to me. I got rid of old candles and toys. Everything left means something. It either directed me on my path, or is encouragement to continue.  The challenge that I'm left with is that I'm still carrying around all of these people that make my path harder. I've recently become obsessed with the Taylor Swift song I forgot that you existed.
My nephew called it a mean song, in the way that a 9 year old half listening to a song might call it mean, but his words pulled at me, made me annoyed, and made me think. These people that I carry with me, were at one point helpful to me, but I have doubts that they would be helpful for me now.  Sometimes, I have doubts that they were truly helpful for me before.  I carry around these memories of people that actually may have contributed to how small I feel and how small I sometimes try to make myself.

I think that these thoughts are a huge part of the connection that I made with Girl, Wash Your Face.

I have never read any other books by Rachel Hollis, but one of her books kept popping up in the books I should read.  I read this one not knowing that it would touch on a few different things in my container.  I'm glad that it did. 

I read Girl, Wash Your Face from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Rachel Hollis shares her story in a very honest way.  She shares her faith in a very true way that doesn't feel like reading sermon. She provides advise in the same way that Mindy Kaling does, by which I mean that women that write books about themselves often provide you a list of things that they wish they knew before they knew them and then tell you stories about why those lessons were important to them.  The book is intelligent, insightful and inspiring. Rachel Hollis is encouraging to the very person that the reader is and may become and I highly encourage reading her book. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

A year away

  I took a year away from reading and reviewing, in part because I didn't think that everyone wanted to hear the words, and this book sounded very Stephen King being Stephen King doing his best Stephen King style King.  Which is what I read for 2020.  It has been a life goal, and it is almost entirely complete.  I read all but five Stephen King titles. I have decided that I have no aim to finish Tommyknockers or Pet Semetary.  As much as I want to read all things Stephen King, those books are just not something that I can finish.   I've tried 3 times to read both books, and we're just not going to be friends.   Still on my to read Stephen King list: The regulators, In the tall Grass, and The plant.  I'm taking a short break from reading more Stephen King for now.  The king of horror and I will say adieu while I visit with some folks I've missed, like maybe people trying to push me towards better, or someone who also obviously read J...