Skip to main content

2019

Looking back on a year is something that I've managed to do every year since I was 14.  I sat in my best friend Angelica's house, just having come back inside from the street after watching fireworks at midnight.  I wrote in my journal a review of what school I went to, who my friends were, what I thought on the year past, and what I wanted in the year ahead.  My records of these things were constantly changing each year, as I moved around and my health seemed to change. 

In adulthood, things are much more stable. My friends remain the same, I don't move as often and each year passes without me being "successful" at becoming "healthy."   2019 was a little bit different, I made a lot of changes in my health and I'm moving into 2020 working on accepting where I'm at instead of changing it.  That doesn't mean I won't make an effort to continue to be healthier.  I do want to exercise more, eat better, be consistent in self care, and show continued growth as a therapist.  However, none of those things will make or break 2020. 

I did make my reading goals, including (thanks to some end of the year focus) completion of the 2019 pop sugar reading challenge, and well over shooting my GoodReads reading goal. 

During the end of the year stretch I read some amazing and some not so amazing books.

Among the amazing:
The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas
This is probably my favorite read of 2019 that was not written by one of my already favorite authors.  It was inspiring. The characters were amazing. The story was stunning.  I recommend The Hate you Give to everyone ever. 

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I fell in love with Rainbow Rowell this year.  Rainbow writes a magically captivating world.  Fangirl is written in a very interesting way as well.  I also adore these characters sincerely. 

Zodiac by Romina Russell
Another amazing fantasy story. Zodiac includes world creation in the most interesting way.  There are rules for the magic that I understood completely from the story being told. Surprises always were surprising. I can't wait to read more. 

Becoming by Michelle Obama
In a year filled with biographies, this was my absolute favorite one. I enjoyed everything about the writing. Michelle really told her story in a way that showed the impact of racism in the black communities as well as the interesting pieces about being first lady that people are always looking for.  I'm not sure any biography will ever beat this as my favorite.

The not amazing have low stars on goodreads, but bare no mentioning here.  I hope you had a blessed holiday and walk in to 2020 eyes wide open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...