Skip to main content

Trigger

This week, I was surprise triggered (which is how most triggers work) by a book I read.  PTSD is strange like that, triggers come out of no where sometimes.  Innocuous things become terrifying.  One of my biggest triggers in the past had been wrapping paper. The sight, the sound, the feel of wrapping paper would leave me in a panic. Heart racing, legs unsteady, breath catching in my chest and thoughts flying through my mind like humming birds on fire. Just because of the sight of a little wrapping paper.

I'd been struggling with the wrapping paper this year, and had my husband open a gift for me at white elephant (the one gift I had wrapping on this year). The paper was the worst that it's been in years. With this in mind, it doesn't shock me that I'd have some extra triggers that I wasn't aware of ahead of time.  I was very unprepared for a children's book to send me into a panic.

Neil Gaiman's Fortunately the Milk is an entertaining book.  There is fast pacing, strong character building in a short time, and exciting story line.  I recommend it for anyone that loves Gaiman or is trying to convince a child to love Gaiman.

It took me a little while to finish it because of the panic, but it's a truly good book worth the read.

To reward myself, I began reading Gaiman's Trigger Warning.  This is a short story collect with a variety of tales.  Gaiman, provides a clear introduction that is, in and of it's self, a great read. The stories are so varied that it's hard to write one review.  Each story while extremely different, is also exactly what it was said to be. Once you comprehend the amazing introduction, you will enter the wod of wonder that is a perfectly described. I highly recommend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Journey

If there is one good thing about moving, it's that when you make a move you have to make a lifestyle change.  So, why not make another?  I'm going to get healthy! Actually, I'm not.  I've love to say the journey we're starting now leads to getting healthy, but the reality is a little different.  Part of the journey you're joining me on is to find a lot of acceptance around that simple fact. I feel a bit Bilbo about this whole thing.  Halfway through my journey towards healthy, I got an awesome treasure, and it came with some super cool effects.  It also came with a huge downside. My treasure isn't a ring that lets me be invisible and links me up with a rather terrifying evil.  My treasure is a series of diagnoses; they give me the power of treatments and mean that I can't be healthy.  I've been diagnosed with migraine with aura, elevated blood pressure, menstrual migraine, patellofemoral pain syndrome, irregular menses, prementrual d...

Chronic pain

As you are aware, I'm dealing with chronic pain. It's very rare for me to have a day that I wake up with no pain. The last few days I've woken up with some very difficult migraines. I'm trying to manage my pain and returning to work. I'm not always sure that I'm managing my pain in the best way possible. I do what I can, but there is a constant struggle and I have very little hope that it will ever become easier. This week I missed a training because I didn't think about it and was staying away from screens.  (My training was online.) I want to do better and be consistent, and it's hard. The Chronic Pain and Illness Workbook for Teens by Rachel Zoffness is straight forward, combines scientific reasoning with clear explanations.  I really appreciate the exercises. They are easy to follow along with and comfortable for teenagers.  I believe this book will be truly helpful for many people. I know it's helpful for me.

Cursed words and phrases

There appears to be a movement out there in the world of ever changing language to make disability, disorder and other such words out to be "bad words."  I am not living in a world where I'm about to agree with that kind of trouble making. The reality is that both disability and disorder refer to the impacts that an illness or set of symptoms have on the life of a person.  According to the DSM: A disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance. My disabilities get in the way of how I function in the world.  They make simple things harder or impossible.  That is why they are called disabilities.  If your PTSD doesn't get in the way of how your relationships work out, your work flow, how your family functions then and only then will I go with the PTS garbage that folks are trying to put out into the world.  Also, when it's not impacting your function, I won't expect your American Capitalist insurance to pay for the treatment of your not actually diagn...