Skip to main content

How Old Were You

I read two children's books.  One is named Rainbow: A First Pride Book. It is an amazing book. Everything I'm looking for in a kid's book. It is short, clear, and ends with smiles. Every child should feel loved, be able to express themselves and see an encouraging environment. That is what Michael Genhart provides in a simple way, while explaining the pride flag. Beautiful.

 The second book is Jacob's Room to Choose is a lovely children's book. It is bright, short and shows the exact lessons we want for all the children in our lives. Sarah and Ian Hoffman created some clear characters, support and encouragement in story with the happy conclusions we want in our stories. In a world where kids are often faced with adult problems, this book gives solutions at a child's level. I encourage it for anyone with small children in their lives.

How old were you when you realized you were straight?  I have felt the need to ask this question several times in my life.  Most recently, the question about my bisexuality was framed as "When did you know you were different?"  I think it was to include people who had different genders along with different sexuality than those that are prescribed.  The question is based on this idea of the differences being learned or chosen, rather than innate, and that this difference is an abnormal, a less than.

That is part of what I grew up feeling.  That I was different, abnormal and less than. Note that I say grew up feeling that way.  When someone asks that rude question, I don't say "When did you realize that you were straight?" I tell a story about kindergarten, though the truth is, it was before kindergarten and there are three stories. 

I was born a sassy little piece of shit with a mind of her own.  I could sass back to anything, and there are stories from every person I was around of me doing it.  That stopped when I was four because of a traumatic incident with my maternal grandparents.  I started being a shy kid.  I didn't like being the center of attention, even if it was for praise. I would not disagree with anyone out loud.  Occasionally, I would stop talking at all if someone of power did something wrong or I'd start crying.  I say start crying, because I didn't know how to stop. I often thought I would die crying, because I couldn't breathe through the tears.  When asked what was happening and why I was crying, I would push out the words, "I... can't.. stop... crying... I... don't... know."

I remember sitting in primary school at church, pretending to sing along with the Sunday school songs. I didn't sing the songs, but I mouthed all the words so no one would notice.  This particular Sunday, someone noticed. A woman, one of the leaders, asked me to come up to the front of the room to lead the song. I tried to tell the lady no by shaking my head, but she did not appear to understand. I tried to say no, but she didn't listen.  She picked me up out of the seat and pushed me along to the front.  That's when I decided I was done being part of the church.

I was going to the grocery store with one of my parents.  We were in the parking lot and there was a gay couple walking to their car, and they kissed.  Something to the equivalent of " They can do what they want, but I don't want to see it.  That's just stupid."  I remember hearing my parents say "I don't think there are bisexuals, they are just  gay and don't want to admit it." "Or sluts." These overheard moments in my ears convinced me to stay in a comfortable closet for years, small and hiding.

Children of today don't hear as many of these kind of statements from ignorant people that want to take it back.  When they do, sometimes, they have TV saying something different.  When they don't, they need books like these.  Letting they know their history through the Pride flag.  Letting them know that they can have pride.  Letting them know to accept the way that someone else lives by taking easy steps.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

I've disappeared for a few weeks (again).  It's because I was dealing with the real world consequences of being chronically ill and chronically poor. These are two things I link together so tightly I almost didn't put "and" in that sentence. I was being kept at a friend's house for a little over a week because I live alone and they were afraid I was going to die.  No one actually says that,  but the simple reality is that no one is saying, "Geeze you are kinda sick and gonna totes get better so please sleep on my couch." There were other reasons too; the simple life goes on when you're sick, birthdays and funerals. I haven't had hours at work which I'm thankful for because I couldn't conceivably go to work. I had a regular-person doctor's visit which turned into several "lets check if you have cancer" visits.  I don't. Yay for that. I removed one medication and added another. I'm having one medication taken aw

Free Hugs

I don't think I can express how important support is when making a change.  All things are easier when you have support.  One of my awesome thing about building up support is that you can choose any way you want to do it.  You can blog for support (Hey Y'all!), use community sights like Lift , SparkPeople , Weight Talk community, use twitter, facebook, or go to the people around you.  In person support does add certain benefits you can't get online, but it's all about steps. I'm testing out a lot of these different communities.  I want to find the right fit for my needs, and the best way I know to do that is to try out some different things.  Right now, I'm in love with pinterest and with the International Geek Girl Pen Pal club .  One of the best things about becoming an Iggle is that you get support in a dozen different ways with everything you want to do.  My letter writing as a hobby is becoming a real thing. (I'm hoping to keep growing my creativity

Sitting down

I've started this blog entry four times this week. First, I was going to tell you about being shiny with my goals. I was all about tracking and support. Those tools are really helpful and I was doing quite well. I had the post all typed out, then I got fired.  In the rest of the week, things got a little off track. There are days this week where I didn't track my progress. I didn't eat according to the plan each day. I didn't complete my full workout each day.  There was even a day where I didn't take my medications.  Knowing that getting off my medications for a day usually leads to migraines, why would I do that?  Why would I ever skip my exercises when my knees hurt less if I do them?  Why wouldn't I move around every hour knowing that I'm at risk for blood clots and strokes? Why would I eat a tub of french fries to make me feel better? As I got stuck this week, I kept asking myself those whys.  It seems like a labyrinth I'll never escape someti