Skip to main content

Neurodivergence

Neurodivergence is exactly what it sounds like, a divergence from the norm in neurological functioning. The term is often used to describe people that are on the autism spectrum, though there is actually a wide spectrum of neurodivergence.  My many illness almost all fit into this category.  My PTSD, Depression, spasms, tremors and migraines all are neurological divergence in functioning. 

It may be surprising for you to learn that "high functioning" autism is regularly misdiagnosed as PTSD. Migraine sufferers and autistic people share triggers, and reactions to those triggers.  My issues with sensory input when I have a migraine are identical to some aspies under stress.  When pushed, I stim automatically.  (Stimming is on a spectrum as well, for me it's often flapping my arms, it moves up to hitting myself in the head.  It is a variety of physical reactions to the triggers.)  My sensory input issues have been really bothering me, and making it hard to focus.  I can't see straight because light is bothering me, including the light from my kindle.  It's as if the words are shadowed. 

Noises that aren't consistent are really bothersome and distracting.  That's the piece that makes video games so helpful, they are almost all consuming.  Also, they are not great for the challenges with my vision. 

You may be wondering "where did this comparison come from?"  I've been reading some books about Autism.  I read Nuerodiverse Relationships by Joanna Pike and  Gender Identity, Sexuality, and Autism by Eva A. Mendes and Meredith Maroney.

Neurodiverse Relationships was a wonderful book.  It gave perspectives of relationships from the two partners, one autistic and the other neurotypical.  Then the issues in the relationships are broken down by a professional, in how autism impacts the relationships and a little bit on what can be done.  It's very insightful.  I would  100% recommend it for clients and/or their partners.  Many of the concerns that those couples dealt with are connected to the issues I feel.  I know this book is helpful, insightful, and connecting.

Gender Identity, Sexuality and Autism begins with definitions and explanations.  Explanations such as why the authors are looking into the topic, and why they don't use the word neurodivergent to describe autistic people.  It's a bit different, in that the case studies are people that identify as LGBT+, but also people that consider themselves part of autistic culture. This book is very clinical.  Even though it highlights the voices of the autistic, those stories are broken down into common sections and story tellers describe these common aspects of their lives. The authors are identifying and dissecting an issue for autistics, and for LGBT+ activists to be aware of.  The book isn't an enjoyable read, but an informative one. It may be helpful for some autistics that are interested in scientific readings, but it won't make it on my recommendations list for clients.  It will for therapists though. 

I'm going to keep reading today until my vision goes out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

I've disappeared for a few weeks (again).  It's because I was dealing with the real world consequences of being chronically ill and chronically poor. These are two things I link together so tightly I almost didn't put "and" in that sentence. I was being kept at a friend's house for a little over a week because I live alone and they were afraid I was going to die.  No one actually says that,  but the simple reality is that no one is saying, "Geeze you are kinda sick and gonna totes get better so please sleep on my couch." There were other reasons too; the simple life goes on when you're sick, birthdays and funerals. I haven't had hours at work which I'm thankful for because I couldn't conceivably go to work. I had a regular-person doctor's visit which turned into several "lets check if you have cancer" visits.  I don't. Yay for that. I removed one medication and added another. I'm having one medication taken aw

Free Hugs

I don't think I can express how important support is when making a change.  All things are easier when you have support.  One of my awesome thing about building up support is that you can choose any way you want to do it.  You can blog for support (Hey Y'all!), use community sights like Lift , SparkPeople , Weight Talk community, use twitter, facebook, or go to the people around you.  In person support does add certain benefits you can't get online, but it's all about steps. I'm testing out a lot of these different communities.  I want to find the right fit for my needs, and the best way I know to do that is to try out some different things.  Right now, I'm in love with pinterest and with the International Geek Girl Pen Pal club .  One of the best things about becoming an Iggle is that you get support in a dozen different ways with everything you want to do.  My letter writing as a hobby is becoming a real thing. (I'm hoping to keep growing my creativity

Sitting down

I've started this blog entry four times this week. First, I was going to tell you about being shiny with my goals. I was all about tracking and support. Those tools are really helpful and I was doing quite well. I had the post all typed out, then I got fired.  In the rest of the week, things got a little off track. There are days this week where I didn't track my progress. I didn't eat according to the plan each day. I didn't complete my full workout each day.  There was even a day where I didn't take my medications.  Knowing that getting off my medications for a day usually leads to migraines, why would I do that?  Why would I ever skip my exercises when my knees hurt less if I do them?  Why wouldn't I move around every hour knowing that I'm at risk for blood clots and strokes? Why would I eat a tub of french fries to make me feel better? As I got stuck this week, I kept asking myself those whys.  It seems like a labyrinth I'll never escape someti