Skip to main content

2019

Looking back on a year is something that I've managed to do every year since I was 14.  I sat in my best friend Angelica's house, just having come back inside from the street after watching fireworks at midnight.  I wrote in my journal a review of what school I went to, who my friends were, what I thought on the year past, and what I wanted in the year ahead.  My records of these things were constantly changing each year, as I moved around and my health seemed to change. 

In adulthood, things are much more stable. My friends remain the same, I don't move as often and each year passes without me being "successful" at becoming "healthy."   2019 was a little bit different, I made a lot of changes in my health and I'm moving into 2020 working on accepting where I'm at instead of changing it.  That doesn't mean I won't make an effort to continue to be healthier.  I do want to exercise more, eat better, be consistent in self care, and show continued growth as a therapist.  However, none of those things will make or break 2020. 

I did make my reading goals, including (thanks to some end of the year focus) completion of the 2019 pop sugar reading challenge, and well over shooting my GoodReads reading goal. 

During the end of the year stretch I read some amazing and some not so amazing books.

Among the amazing:
The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas
This is probably my favorite read of 2019 that was not written by one of my already favorite authors.  It was inspiring. The characters were amazing. The story was stunning.  I recommend The Hate you Give to everyone ever. 

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I fell in love with Rainbow Rowell this year.  Rainbow writes a magically captivating world.  Fangirl is written in a very interesting way as well.  I also adore these characters sincerely. 

Zodiac by Romina Russell
Another amazing fantasy story. Zodiac includes world creation in the most interesting way.  There are rules for the magic that I understood completely from the story being told. Surprises always were surprising. I can't wait to read more. 

Becoming by Michelle Obama
In a year filled with biographies, this was my absolute favorite one. I enjoyed everything about the writing. Michelle really told her story in a way that showed the impact of racism in the black communities as well as the interesting pieces about being first lady that people are always looking for.  I'm not sure any biography will ever beat this as my favorite.

The not amazing have low stars on goodreads, but bare no mentioning here.  I hope you had a blessed holiday and walk in to 2020 eyes wide open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

I've disappeared for a few weeks (again).  It's because I was dealing with the real world consequences of being chronically ill and chronically poor. These are two things I link together so tightly I almost didn't put "and" in that sentence. I was being kept at a friend's house for a little over a week because I live alone and they were afraid I was going to die.  No one actually says that,  but the simple reality is that no one is saying, "Geeze you are kinda sick and gonna totes get better so please sleep on my couch." There were other reasons too; the simple life goes on when you're sick, birthdays and funerals. I haven't had hours at work which I'm thankful for because I couldn't conceivably go to work. I had a regular-person doctor's visit which turned into several "lets check if you have cancer" visits.  I don't. Yay for that. I removed one medication and added another. I'm having one medication taken aw

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful for my father. He keeps stepping up his dad game, which honestly throws me off a bit. It's kinda great. I am thankful for my sister.  Always. Best thing. I am thankful for my best friend Brad. I am thankful for work. I love supporting those kids, even when they say they don't like me. I am thankful for the days, minutes and moments where I feel in control of my depression. I am thankful for my coworker Jason.  He really made my day. He remembers when I have to leave and takes note of the good I am doing. He tells other people. Basically, he is my favorite (which is hella hard to do because we have an awesome staff.)

Free Hugs

I don't think I can express how important support is when making a change.  All things are easier when you have support.  One of my awesome thing about building up support is that you can choose any way you want to do it.  You can blog for support (Hey Y'all!), use community sights like Lift , SparkPeople , Weight Talk community, use twitter, facebook, or go to the people around you.  In person support does add certain benefits you can't get online, but it's all about steps. I'm testing out a lot of these different communities.  I want to find the right fit for my needs, and the best way I know to do that is to try out some different things.  Right now, I'm in love with pinterest and with the International Geek Girl Pen Pal club .  One of the best things about becoming an Iggle is that you get support in a dozen different ways with everything you want to do.  My letter writing as a hobby is becoming a real thing. (I'm hoping to keep growing my creativity