Skip to main content

Grateful American

Some people would believe that I'm not a very grateful American.  I believe that there are a lot of things wrong with our country and I'm vocal about it.  That's the thing I'm most thankful for about being an American.  I can protest and inform my representatives about the things that are wrong in America. If my representatives don't do the things I want, I can vote for new ones.

These freedoms are invaluable to the way that I live my life.  I believe in this system.  I also believe that our veterans should be celebrated and cared for by our nation.   Despite this belief, I don't believe in " freedom isn't free"  It is a horrible misnomer and simplification of an important concept.  Our military follows orders, orders that could protect our freedom.  It's important that they be willing to go where they are ordered and risk their lives.  The fact that our nation has struggled repetitively with proper and effective support of our allies through the usage of the military does not take away from service supplied by our veterans. 

I believe that all people that serve our communities and allow them to function are invaluable.  I am grateful for them. 

Gary Sinise shares his story and where his gratitude for these people comes from.  This story does an amazing job of entertaining, informing and inspiring.  It is everything that one could want from a memoir.  If you read his memoir because of your interest in his current work with the Gary Sinise Foundation, you will be filled with passion, inspired to service, and informed of the different ways that many programs help and came to be. If your interest is in his tv and movie work, you will get entertaining stories and connections.  The same can be said about his work with Steppenwolf.  The book left me wanting to watch a ton of movies, plays and volunteer.

I can't wait to get back to my work and service.  I want to be doing my part to help others. I have two interviews next week.  Hopefully one will lead to working again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

I've disappeared for a few weeks (again).  It's because I was dealing with the real world consequences of being chronically ill and chronically poor. These are two things I link together so tightly I almost didn't put "and" in that sentence. I was being kept at a friend's house for a little over a week because I live alone and they were afraid I was going to die.  No one actually says that,  but the simple reality is that no one is saying, "Geeze you are kinda sick and gonna totes get better so please sleep on my couch." There were other reasons too; the simple life goes on when you're sick, birthdays and funerals. I haven't had hours at work which I'm thankful for because I couldn't conceivably go to work. I had a regular-person doctor's visit which turned into several "lets check if you have cancer" visits.  I don't. Yay for that. I removed one medication and added another. I'm having one medication taken aw

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful for my father. He keeps stepping up his dad game, which honestly throws me off a bit. It's kinda great. I am thankful for my sister.  Always. Best thing. I am thankful for my best friend Brad. I am thankful for work. I love supporting those kids, even when they say they don't like me. I am thankful for the days, minutes and moments where I feel in control of my depression. I am thankful for my coworker Jason.  He really made my day. He remembers when I have to leave and takes note of the good I am doing. He tells other people. Basically, he is my favorite (which is hella hard to do because we have an awesome staff.)

Free Hugs

I don't think I can express how important support is when making a change.  All things are easier when you have support.  One of my awesome thing about building up support is that you can choose any way you want to do it.  You can blog for support (Hey Y'all!), use community sights like Lift , SparkPeople , Weight Talk community, use twitter, facebook, or go to the people around you.  In person support does add certain benefits you can't get online, but it's all about steps. I'm testing out a lot of these different communities.  I want to find the right fit for my needs, and the best way I know to do that is to try out some different things.  Right now, I'm in love with pinterest and with the International Geek Girl Pen Pal club .  One of the best things about becoming an Iggle is that you get support in a dozen different ways with everything you want to do.  My letter writing as a hobby is becoming a real thing. (I'm hoping to keep growing my creativity